On 11-08-05 11:00 AM, Jouni Valkonen wrote:
Also
it is even more impossible that steam temperature is above boiling
point of local pressure.

Heavens, Jouni, where have you been?

That silly argument leads directly to the conclusion that the atmosphere can't be any hotter than the temperature at which oxygen liquefies.

If I have a tea kettle with a small opening, and if I boil all the water it contains away, leaving only water vapor inside, the kettle will be filled entirely by water vapor (all air having been expelled during the boiling, displaced by the steam). And now, let's continue heating it, until the kettle is glowing a nice cherry red. The small opening assures that the pressure inside the kettle is still 1 atmosphere, of course. But what temperature is the water vapor inside? Is it still at 100C?

If it is, it's a miracle of non-thermodynamic behavior.

I don't understand how anyone can fail to "get" this.

  This is very basic steam stuff,

You can say that again.

  although
people seem to have huge amounts of difficulties to understand this.

So it appears.