Very hard to guess. My very very personal opinion is that he really believed
in his discovery. At some time he realized he was wrong and now is trapped
in a huge amount of claims. To sustain these clamis he's forced to add even
more and more. This pile is gonna to collapse pretty soon. Maybe his hope is
that internet people eventually will forget this story.
The only thing that i know for sure is that I don't want be in his pants.