On 11-10-10 01:14 PM, OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson wrote:
I'm reminded of something recently stated over at the PESN web site,
author, Hank Mills:

See:

http://pesn.com/2011/10/08/9501929_E-Cat_Test_Validates_Cold_Fusion_Despite_Challenges/

http://tinyurl.com/6a7zcw2

Specifically:

No Control

In Rossi's test, a control system would have been an E-Cat
module that was setup in the exact same way, except it would
have not been filled with hydrogen gas.

Rossi's well aware of this, I'm sure, and also well aware that it would either prove or disprove the excess energy claim PDQ.

Note, however, that hydrogen adsorbing onto nickel is exothermic, so your "control" without hydrogen has issues. It's too different from the "real thing". In particular, conventional chemistry presumably says the "live" Ecat would produce (some increment of) heat, while the "control" would not.

You'd want something a little more subtle, I think -- like, an Ecat with all parts in place including the hydrogen gas, except the "catalyst" is left out; that should show all conventional chemical effects, but no fusion. That would be somewhat analogous to the use of hydrogen oxide in place of deuterium oxide as a "control" in a wet palladium CF cell.