See:

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Energy-Resources/2011/10/05/Japan-takes-steps-to-revise-energy-plan/UPI-61081317835370/#ixzz1aKbhqLE0

The Fukushima accident has had a profound impact. The statements and
attitudes in this article would be unthinkable a year ago. Such as:

"Headed by Nippon Steel Corp. Chairman Akio Mimura, the panel plans to
devise a new energy plan for the resource-poor nation as early as next
summer. Nearly half of its 25 members oppose nuclear power generation."

I would say nuclear power in Japan is dead. It is just a matter of time
before it is phased out.

Taking everything into account I believe nuclear power was probably the
cheapest source of electricity in Japan before Fukushima. Perhaps
hydroelectricity was cheaper but they have tapped that out. I do not have
the numbers but I suspect that when you factor the cost of the accident,
including compensation and damages to people who can no longer live near the
reactor, nuclear power is now the most expensive source of electricity.

It reminds me of the safety record of the Concorde supersonic passenger jet.
It went from best to worst in one accident. Aviation safety is measured per
passenger mile, and there were only 20 Concordes, seating 100 people each.