Colin Hercus <colinher...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know Rossi said this but I also know Mats measured a lower rate (0.9g/m)
> for a period of 6 minutes . . .

Here is a note I wrote about that in another forum:

As far as I know the flow rate was 15 L per hour. That is what Rossi said,
and it seems to be the case. It took about two hours to fill the 30 L tank
when the test began.

Lewan only measured the primary look flow rate once during the
self-sustaining event, at 18:57. He found it was 0.9 g/s, which works out to
be 3.2 L per hour. However, I believe that at this time, the tank was not
full. The water was filling up. The water in the outlet hose came from
condensed steam that escaped from the vessel. A flow of steam at 0.9 g/s
corresponds to 2.5 kW, and this is in agreement with the power measured with
the secondary loop at that time: 3.5 kW. Somewhat in agreement.

Prior to this power was much higher and I assume more steam was escaping,
lowering the water level below the top of the vessel. That is why I think
the vessel was probably filling up at this time, and not overflowing.

The pump was working at the same speed the whole time, so the incoming flow
rate must been stable.

In a discussion on Vortex, someone suggested that there may have been no
water entering the vessel, and nothing to cool it down. I pointed out that
this is impossible. People could see water leaving the vessel. The flow rate
had to be high enough to transfer heat the secondary loop. It had to be high
enough that people could actually see the water moving through the tube, not
just puddled up inside it. If the flow rate was 0.9 g/s the whole time, this
would be just enough to empty out the vessel in the nine hours of the test.
However, I think it must have been higher most of the time, for the
following reason:

As I said, 0.9 g/s was recorded when the power was at a low ebb. The nominal
power was higher at all other times during the heat after death event.
Whether the power was actually 2.5 kW to 3.5 kW at 18:57, it was higher at
other times. Therefore more water must have been flowing out of the vessel.
The temperature in the vessel did not change. The only way the heat
exchanger could remove more heat from the system would be if the flow rate
increased. When you turn up the flame under boiling pot, the water does not
get hotter, it boils away faster.