The conjecture I've heard speculates that billions of years ago.
Yes... not millions... but BILLIONS of years ago, when mars was
significantly younger, the atmosphere may have been a lot thicker than
that it is today. More atmospheric pressure in turn would have allowed
liquid water to remain on the surface indefinitely.

I believe it has been speculated that perhaps Mars had at one time a
molten core, which in turn generated a planetary magnetic field. It is
theorized that due to the shielding effect of the magnetic field the
atmosphere, to a large extent, was protected from being blown away due
to the harsh effects of the sun's solar wind. After the core cooled
and the magnetic field dissipated there was no magnetic shield left to
protect Mar's tenuous atmosphere. Over millions of years the
atmosphere was gradually blown away.

At present, the most prosaic theory I've heard as to whether life may
have at one time flourished on the surface of Mars is that if it HAD
flourished it must have done so a very long time ago. Probably more
than a billion years ago, or longer. Of course, there may still be
traces of bacterial life that may have managed to hang on underground
where pockets of liquid water and life sustaining minerals may still
exist in relative abundance.

We'll just have to go there and look for ourselves! I'm game!

Maybe we might be in for a big surprise.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks