On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com>wrote:

> **
>
> OK, OK, you don't like any of Jed's examples.
>
> But here's one you may find harder to dismiss:  For a couple of
> generations dinosaurs were said to be very much like big lizards:  Cold
> blooded, slow moving, and most important, walking splay-legged.

I think that in fields like geology or cosmology or paleontology, the time
constant is longer than it is in small-scale research that is carried out
on a bench top with all the parameters in the control of the experimenter.
So, I've mentioned examples like continental drift, and to a lesser extent,
black holes, which were accepted rather slowly, because nature does not
reveal data so easily in these fields. Examples of small-scale phenomena
rejected for decades and then vindicated are much scarcer. The best one I
know of is the Semmelweis's germ theory and importance of hand-washing, and
that goes back more than 150 years. If cold fusion is vindicated it will be
(as Storms has said), and unprecedented case.

> So, the question we're left with is ... how do you know if the field
> you're working in is infected with a similar virus?

I think looking at history is valuable to instill caution either way, but
the best anyone can do in in a specific field, is to try to suppress bias,
and look at the data itself as objectively as possible. Trying to diagnose
viruses in others is probably counter-productive.