Aussie Guy E-Cat <aussieguy.e...@gmail.com> wrote:

My point was we need a reliable grid for a very long time and that any
> wholesale removal of grid load will destroy the companies that maintain the
> grid and generate the energy that 30,000,000 Australian connection points
> need virtually 24/7. . . .

I agree we will need it for a long, where a "long time" is the amount of
time it takes to replace nearly all HVAC equipment now in use. That's about
30 years. A little more for some large installations such as factories.
After that we will not need it. Maintaining it would be like maintaining
the coaling stations used by the U.S. Navy after every ship in the fleet
was oil-fired. It would be like maintaining the full long-distance US
passenger train network circa 1900, with hundreds of empty trains running
every day, like ghosts.

Unless you limit those going off the grid to no more than 2 or 3 % per year
> and charge them the grid fees maintenance fees for that privileged, there
> is no way governments will allow mass movement off any of the supply and /
> or waste disposal grids.

The government will have no choice in this matter. People will abandon the
network. Perhaps for some number of years the government will be able to
compel them to contribute to the network cost even though they are not
using it. This might be a good idea. But after a while people will be fed
up with that and they will demand the surtax be ended. Since Australia is a
democracy the government will be compelled to bend to the will of
consumers. People will sometimes allow governments to trample on the rights
even in democratic nations, but they will not allow governments to take
thousands of dollars away from them every year to give to private
corporations for no reason, to maintain a useless, abandoned, rusting
infrastructure. Gas stations and power lines will vanish as surely as
sailing ships and steam locomotives did in the past.

This will take many years, obviously.