David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

I hope these steam locomotives are not bombs looking for a chance to
> explode!

They often did explode, unfortunately, even in the 1930s, at the pinnacle
of the technology. Maybe a single pipe explosion or an accident was more
common than a boiler failure . . . I do not know. As I said, I read
somewhere that superheater failures and explosions were common in some
types of locomotives, so they stopped using them.

I remember reading the memoir of a steam locomotive engineer who said they
lived in fear of explosions, and saw a lot of people killed by them. Marine
steam engines were terribly dangerous, according to my dad who was a
fireman in the 1930s. These were oil fired, "when you finally got the damn
thing to light."

> Jed, I gather from the remainder of the article that a saturated steam
> locomotive is used in some applications.  This suggests to me that the
> quality of the steam is pretty good.

Yup. It was definitely used on the simpler, cheaper engines. That is what
this and other sources say, including Wikipedia.