On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > He was a science writer. Respectable, yes. Top academic career,
>> > no.
>>

> In my opinion, being the science writer at MIT puts you at the top of your
> career.

Maybe I'm quibbling, but it's not an academic career was the point. An
academic career, to me, involves primarily research. And a top academic
career would be a chair at a university or director of a research
institute. A science writer is a journalist. Not that there's anything
wrong with that, but it's not usually considered academic. Some people,
like Sagan, mixed them successfully,

> Gene knew every major science writer in the U.S., many other writers such
> as Arthur Clarke, and hundreds of scientists worldwide. This was before the
> Internet. He had hundreds of important people in his Rolodex, and file
> cabinets full of correspondence from them. I spent a lot of time in his
> office wading through old correspondence.
>
> You did not know him. You did not spend weeks at his house, as I did. You
> do know what he accomplished, or what difficulties he faced.

Completely irrelevant. I didn't know Feynman, but I know he had a top
academic career. I didn't know Clarke, but I know he didn't. I don't know
Gary Taubes, but I know he doesn't either.