One last thought before this thread becomes a part of history.

I speculate that Rossi has found experimentally that proton absorption into
the nickel nucleus will have a higher cross section when “heavy’ nickel
isotopes: Ni62 and Ni64 are enhanced in his powder.

These heavy isotopes have more neutrons per proton and the fusion of
additional protons into these heavy nickel nuclei will be easier (more
probable) when abundant neutrons are initially there to buffer them