I wrote:

This is a crude estimate but I believe it does show that there is not
> enough palladium to produce all the energy we need. If it turns out
> palladium is the only suitable metal, we would have large centralized
> generators producing most of our energy, supplying it as electricity for
> use in electric cars and so on. We would not actually put the palladium in
> automobiles, and probably not in houses either.

I forgot to mention the key factor. Automobiles sit unused most of the day.
If you had palladium in automobile engines, it would sit not producing
energy 23 out of 24 hours. If you put the palladium in large central
generators then it is active during the day, and perhaps 25% of it is used
at night during off-peak hours.

With that scheme we might have enough palladium to produce all of the
energy we need but it would be in the form of electricity delivered from
central generators. We would not have enough palladium to put into
standalone machines that are seldom used.

We might end up putting it in locomotives, long-haul trucks and other heavy
equipment that is used many hours a day, and that cannot be conveniently