At 04:48 AM 1/23/2012, William Beaty wrote:

Vtx thoughtcriminals. "Scoffing" and anti-fringe behavior, but didn't leave in disgust as suggested. Ungood! Time for Periodic Cleansing.

removed:

  "Mary" "Yugo"
  effwivakeef
  Dusty Bradshaw
  Shaun Taylor

Vortex traffic temporarily suspended.  Getting everyone's attention.

I'll leave "subscribe" turned off for weeks/months, "unsubscribe" remains active. Email me directly for problems, suggestions.

I'd not have handled this the same way, but, to be sure, Mr. Beaty owns this list.

I'd have put questionable participants, if it's at all marginal, on moderation. That could create a burden for the owner, so I'd have multiple moderators. And there is another path which means that, in effect, the list isn't exactly censored.

Any user may send any other subscriber to the list -- and if you have been receiving the list, you have direct email addresses for active subscribers -- a post, and the subscriber may forward that post *on their own responsibility.*

I'd consider this on request, but do be aware that I can get very busy and might not get to it quickly.

I was one who had noted that posts had gone "beyond the pale." I would not forward such posts. However, some posts by some of those removed were of interest and valuable.

I do recommend, for the future, that a list moderator warn users before excluding them. Putting a user on moderation is a form of warning. In my opinion, when a list is actually serving a community rather than the owner as an individual, such things should be done openly. (As Mr. Beaty's action was open.)

Complaints by those involved in disputes with a user are not effective as warnings, they are readily discounted. Rules should be clear, and when rules are ignored for a long time -- as they were -- enforcement should begin with care so that people have a chance and some time to alter their behavior, if that's what they choose.

The archive should not be redacted, except for illegal posts. If we want a "cleaned" archive, that should be done through a mirror of the list. (Or the position can be reversed, there is a mirror which has a full archive, and the main list has a redacted archive.)