From: OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson [svj.orionwo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 1:16 PM
To: vortex-l
Subject: [Vo]:Putting the nuclear debate into perspective

Considering the pro/con ramifications of building 15 MW wind turbines
I also noticed that there was some badmouthing of nuclear plants.

I'm certainly all for getting rid of nuclear plants as soon as
feasibly possible. However, before cleaner & cheaper energy becomes
ubiquitous it stands to reason that nuclear plans should still be
considered a reasonably effective way of generating heat &
electricity. In the aftermath of the tragic Fukushima disaster many
citizens of the planet have become terrified of the evils of nuclear
energy and, of course, they have reason. There is, however, real irony
in a little understood fact that nuclear plants (under normal
operating conditions) emit less radiation into the atmosphere than
equivalent coal fire plants. Probably a lot less.

What the Fukushima disaster appears to have taught us in huge spades
is the fact that locating nuclear plants where both earthquakes and
tsunamis will occur on a regular basis is a really, really, REALLY bad
idea. The lesson learned: DON'T do it! I want my sushi cold, not hot!

OTOH, take another country, like France. They seem to have a pretty
good handle on managing their nuclear plants. France's government
wisely settled on standardizing the design of their nuclear plants.
Standardization helped make it easier to comprehend what each plant's
overall strengths and weaknesses are. It helps them know how best to
maintain ALL of their nuclear plants. I'd imagine most of the French
countryside is not prone to the ravages of fault lines either. Nor are
tsunamis an issue - except perhaps for locations close to the Atlantic
coast. The lesson learned: No fault lines nearby? No tsunamis nearby?
Ok then, let's consider building a nuke plant here... but only after
we talk a little more about it over a glass of wine.

In the end, I hope my pro-nuclear stance is quickly rendered nothing
more than an academic argument. I certainly hope so. However, in the
absence of absolute certainty I feel it would be wise of me to
continue hedging my bets.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com