CERN has spent $ten billion and counting to verify how particles get their
mass from the Higgs field. As I understand the Higgs theory (whose
implications about the acquisition of mass by particles I might not fully
comprehend) the Higgs mechanism is a process that is *universal and constant
* throughout the universe for all matter contained therein.

If mass depletion happens on *a per particle basis* as a process that
underpins the quiescence conjecture in cold fusion, the decision makers who
spent all those euros on proton smashing hardware are derelict in their
lack of attention to the possibility of quiescence.

Higgs theory and quiescence are not compatible or at least is very hard to
be made compatible.