Although not quite the same, here's another one which is quite interesting:

Harnessing plasmonics, engineers weld nanowires with light

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-harnessing-plasmonics-weld-nanowires.htm

"In before-and-after electron-microscope images, individual nanowires are
visually distinct prior to

illumination. They lay atop one another, like two fallen trees in the
forest. When illuminated, the top

nanowire acts like an antenna of sorts, directing the plasmon waves of light
into the bottom wire and

creating heat that welds the wires together. Post-illumination images show
X-like nanowires lying flat

against the substrate with fused joints."

-Mark