There is nice book about this era:

Lord, W., "The Good Years: From 1900 to the First World War," (Harper &
Bros., 1960)

I quoted from it in one of the papers at LENR-CANR.org:

"The spirit of an era can’t be blocked out and measured, but it is there
nonetheless. And in these brief, buoyant years it was a spark that  somehow
gave extra promise to life. By the light of this spark, men and women saw
themselves as heroes shaping the world, rather than victims struggling
through it.

Actually, this was nothing unique. People had seen the spark before, would
surely do so again. For it can never die as long as men breathe. But
sometimes it burns low, leaving men uncertain in the shadows; other times
it glows bright, catching the eye with breath-taking visions of the future."

We will never return to the innocence of that era, now that we have been
through WWII and we have nuclear weapons. We will never unlearn how to make
them. Despite Obama's best hopes, I doubt we will ever be fully free of the
damn things. Even if the last one is disassembled, the knowledge of how to
make them will be with us always, casting a shadow on events.

I was reading essays by Oppenheimer the other day:

http://www.amazon.com/Atom-Void-Science-Community-Princeton/dp/0691024340

This was written in the 1950s. He said some striking things that we now
take for granted, but which must have seemed unearthly back in then. Such
as the fact that the human race now has the ability to destroy all of
civilization in a few hours. We have to decide how the world will be run
and what the physical shape of the landscape will be, to
an unprecedented extent. As they say in the comic book, with great power
comes great responsibility and 35% taxes forevermore. High technology and
high infrastructure costs are never going away.