I have another update concerning my on-going theoretical research into
characteristics of celestial mechanic algorithms.

Last Wednesday I mentioned the fact that another way to graph an
elliptical orbit (an orbit that obeys Kepler's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd laws)
would be to plot the satellite's distance from the central mass on the
"Y" axis, while plotting equal time intervals on the "X" axis. What
you end up with is a graph that looks like a bouncing ball. The
bouncing part of the plot is where the satellite has made its closest
approach to the attractive body, the perihelion point in the orbital
ellipse.

Most curiously, there appears to be a simple algorithm that simulates
this x,y "bouncing ball" graph behavior, by incorporating it into a
classic feed-back loop. The mathematical formula involves:

Distance = 1/r^2 - 1/r^3.

If you feed the current calculated vectors back into the formula you
will generate the same bouncing ball plot.

Keep in mind the squared (1/r^2) value is the attractive "force"
whereas the cubed (1/r^3) value is the repulsive "force". If you
employ this simple formula into a simple feedback loop you will end up
plotting the exact same bouncing ball plot. The implication is that an
orbiting satellite as it enters the perihelion phase of the orbit is
effectively experiencing something akin to negative gravity,
presumably due to centripetal forces that have temporarily overpowered
the 1/r^2 attractive force.

* * *

As of today, Friday, I appear to have uncovered another suspicion of
mine:  What appears to be the generation of a perfect sine wave if you
replace the "x" axis value (which previously contained a fixed time
interval) with the accumulated vector value pertaining to the orbiting
satellite. Said differently: As the orbiting satellite enters the
perihelion phase of the orbit (closest approach to the body) the
current vector will be significantly larger than when the satellite
reaches its aphelion (farthest distance to the body). If you
accumulate these individual slices of vector values and systematically
plot them on the "X" axis proportionally, while simultaneously
charting the satellite's distance on the "Y" axis, it seems to cause
the charted line, which previously looked like a bouncing ball to
transform into a perfect sine wave. Oh, by the way, in order to get
this sine wave you need to return back to using just 1/r^2 for
calculating the "Y" distance.

My theoretical research continues. I have more suspicions. Maybe they
will turn out to be right. ...or not.

That's my Zen thought for the day! Have a good weekend. ;-)

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks