OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson <orionwo...@charter.net> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your very, very, VERY thorough analysis of the
> trials and tribulations of working with WORD PRESS. Your analysis scared
> the b'jesus out to me! ;-)

Perhaps I exaggerated. Doing web pages in plain HTML is not a walk in the
park. I am used to it so it seems easy, but my wife cannot begin to
maintain her site.

You do have to understand MySQL but it is pretty simple. All you have to
know is how to set up an empty database. WordPress populates it
automatically on installation. You never need to look at it.

> I'll take a look at how you managed to perform the remote publishing
> procedure. I sure would like to keep a similar kind of an arrangement if I
> can.

It is not hard, but it took a long checklist of operations to transfer the
data from one site to another. I will send you the checklist. I just ran it
again today to make sure I did not leave out any steps. That is to say, I
erased the version of the web site on my computer and re-installed it from
scratch.

The biggest danger is that you will mix up the two and accidentally delete
the on-line version. I use a different favicon so I can tell which I am
looking at.

There are supposed to be programs to do it, but they do not work.

When you first experiment with WordPress you will probably try out a
variety of Themes and Plugins. After a while they will leave so much
digital debris the web site will stop working. Just export the text and
images, clobber everything, and start again. Themes and Plugins come as
.zip files. Just be sure you save every one in folder somewhere. Not in the
WordPress folder.

> Unfortunately, putting together a local server for development work and
> then getting one’s  "localhoast" web site to link up to the WWW sounds like
> it will involve a lot of finicky work and work-arounds.

Actually, that part was easy. It is sort of fun to have my own private
version of MySQL. It was handy for the library database too. You can get
your own localhost the runs under windows, Linux or the Mac for free here:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

This includes Apache (emulator), MySQL, FileZilla (FTP), Mercury (mail) and
Tomcat (java server). If you have a lot of items to keep track of in your
life, and you need a database, I recommend MySQL. Especially for something
like an informal organization where other people want access to the data.
Such as a church or club. I could set up a thing like that with ScriptCase
in a jiffy. I was thinking of uploading the LENR-CANR weekly total visits
and downloads going back to 2002 but ScriptCase does a lousy job graphing,
so for now I will stick with these graphs generated on my computer:

http://lenr-canr.org/wordpress/?page_id=1213

> Once we figured out the snafu and got them properly indexed it was just a
> matter of seconds. It sounds to me as like you still might not be using the
> MySQL ISAM function correctly. It definitely shouldn’t take 7 seconds

No doubt that is the problem, but I cannot figure out how to make it work.
As far as I can tell I am following the directions. It must be using the
index because when I delete the index, the program crashes. Yet it is not
going any faster.

Anyway, I replaced it with this, which looks better:

http://lenr-canr.org/index/Publications/Publications.php