I do not know much about prediction markets but this seems like a bad idea
because the game is rigged. Whether a Fortune 500 company will announce a
product or not is entirely a matter of politics. There are no technical
reasons to prevent this from happening. In a sane world, every Fortune 500
company would already be frantically developing cold fusion.

In the 1980s the television program Dallas had a season during which
everyone was asking "who shot JR?" (Everyone but me. I had no idea this was
happening.) In the UK, there are betting shops where you can bet on just
about anything: sports, politics, whether tourists will travel to the moon.
However they did not allow people to bet on who shot JR because the answer
was known to someone. It was up to the scriptwriters. The scriptwriters
themselves might have secretly placed bets in favor of one character or
another, making a fortune.

The decision to develop cold fusion or not has never been bounded by
technical problems. It has always been a matter of choice. It has always
been about academic politics and funding. Any time in the last 23 years,
any major industrial company might have invested $100 million or so, and
very likely they would have developed a workable prototype. At least they
would've shown beyond any doubt that the effect is real and worth spending
hundreds of millions more on.

I suppose it may take approximately $1 billion to develop industrial
prototypes. I think it will be far more expensive than Defkalion now
anticipates. This may seem like a lot of money but it is approximately how
much the world spends every day on fossil fuel. Compared to the savings
brought by cold fusion this is a microscopic sum of money. It like
investing a dollar in the lottery and winning $500 million (as someone is
likely to do tonight).

Many skeptics over the years have argued that we should not do cold fusion
research because we cannot be sure it will pan out. That's ridiculous.
First, because by that standard no one would get out of bed in the morning
because you might be struck by lightning. Second, because there is every
indication that cold fusion will work out, and not a single valid technical
reason to doubt that. By 1990 it had already achieved temperatures and
power density. There has never been any doubt that once it is understood
and controlled, it will be a viable source of energy far cheaper than any
other.

Some skeptics have argued that we cannot afford to do cold fusion research.
That goes way beyond ridiculous into deepest cloud cuckoo land. imagine a
$500 million lottery in which there are only 10 tickets for sale, one is
certain to win, and you have the opportunity to buy nine of them for $9.
Would you say you can't afford that?

Cold fusion will be by far the most cost-effective R&D in the recorded
history of our species.