> How many people died when a renewable energy dam broke?
>
>> That seldom happens nowadays. Retaining dams made from earth sometimes
>> break, but not power dams made from concrete.
>
>> About 1,000 and probably about the same economic damage with the homes
>> washed away.
>
> When and where did that happen? I have never heard of a dam destroying
> 4,000 square miles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Francis_Dam  -- 1929  ?

... the current death toll is estimated to be more than 600 victims (excluding
the itinerant farm workers camped in San Francisquito Canyon, the exact number
of which will never be known).

Of course, 1929 doesn't count as "nowadays".  And the land can immediately be
re-inhabited.