I covered this subject in the book. Here are some updated thoughts about
various systems.

*Telecommuting*

Still the best answer for most work-related transportation needs. I predict
this will be the best solution forever. At least on one planet. Obviously
would not work well between the Earth and Mars. It would be difficult from
the Earth to the Moon because of the time delay.

I recommend small satellite offices rather than working from home.

*Automobiles*

Progress in self driving automobiles is occurring much faster than I
imagined it would. I think it is essential to have self driving automobiles
as soon as possible. This will greatly reduce the number of accidents and
it will improve the flow of traffic. People do not realize the potential
for the latter. The thing is, fully computerized cars will cooperate with
one another better than human drivers ever could. They will "know" the
intentions of all other cars. Thus, for example, you could eliminate many
traffic lights and replace them with stop signs. A car approaching an
intersection would receive a signal from an oncoming car warning at that
the oncoming car intends to turn in front. Or he would receive a signal
saying that the car intends to stop and wait for another car to cross.
Where there are still traffic signals, all of the vehicles could
communicate with a traffic signal to arrange optimum wait times.

I predict that the bulk of transportation will be met with automobiles far
into the future. That is, individual, ground-based wheeled-vehicles that
transport people or freight from door to door. Some of the may be much
smaller than today's automobiles. For example vehicles that deliver
groceries or mail may be the size of a shopping cart.

I predict that taxies will become much more popular than they are today in
many places including suburbs. They will resemble today's Zip cars more
than what you think of as a taxi now. That is, you will call one on your
cell phone or computer and it will show up at the door when you need it.
The problems with today's taxies are:

They have human drivers so they are expensive. The drivers are often surly
or they drive like kamikaze pilots. Robot vehicles will eliminate this.

Taxies are often late coming. This is partly because traffic is so
unpredictable today. Future traffic control systems, underground roads, and
robot drivers will reduce this problem.

Taxies are often dirty, or poorly maintained. In the future they will be
cleaned up after every passenger by a robot, and thoroughly cleaned at the
end of each day. They will be kept in perfect operating condition by robot
labor. I expect that many other machines, houses, and infrastructure will
also be kept in better condition than today.

The advantages of using taxies in the future will be:

This reduces the parking problem. The taxi takes you to your destination
and then drives a way to pick up some other person. It is not left downtown
all day long taking up space. This problem can also be reduced by having
self driving cars drop you off at your destination and then drive a
considerable distance to an underground parking lot, or even back to your
house until you are ready to go home.

It reduces cost of ownership. It spreads the cost among many people.

The cost of ownership of automobiles will also be greatly reduced because
automobile accident insurance will not be needed. Robot vehicle accidents
will be extremely rare. Probably about as rare as today's commercial
aircraft accidents. When robot vehicles have accidents it will probably be
front page news. The cost of such accidents will be covered by society as a
whole. They will be so rare it will not be worth bothering with individual
insurance policies. This is how air travel works today. Every ticket comes
with built-in insurance, which probably costs a few cents.

This also reduces the hassles of owning a vehicle. Many of these hassles
will be reduced anyway, because the vehicle will largely maintain itself.
When it is time for routine maintenance, the vehicle will drive itself to
the dealership in the middle of the night. Robots will test it, change the
lubrication, rotate the tires and so on. The car will be back at your house
before morning.

By the way, I do not expect tires will be pneumatic. If they are they will
have permanent pockets of air like a sponge.

*Air cars and VTOL aircraft*

I stick to the predictions I made in my book.

Small VTOL air cars

I do not think these will be as popular as some people predict, because
they will be disruptive. I do not want to see cities and towns with many
vehicles cluttering up the airspace everywhere you look. I predict the
things will only be used at a few places around cities. Perhaps where we
now have shopping malls. A stream of vehicles go up and down in five or 10
locations in a major city would not be so bad. Having vehicles take off and
land in any neighborhood anywhere in the city would be disruptive. VTOL
aircraft may be quiet in the future but they will not be silent and they
will certainly produce a great deal of wind. These damned leaf blowing
machines are bad enough.

Direct VTOL shipments to large factories and production plants might be a
good idea. These should be made mainly at night.

*Underground roads*

I think this is the ultimate solution to most transportation in cities and
within 100 km of major cities, and also high-traffic used highways between
cities. I think these will be shallow tunnels with many access points.
Where tunnels cross underground, they will have small cloverleaf exchanges,
similar to today's highways, except the speed will be much lower; at a
walking pace. Cars entering and exiting highways will inform other cars so
there are no collisions no difficulty changing lanes.

The SwissMetro plan called for maglev trains running in partially evacuated
underground tunnels. This was intended to reduce energy consumption. That
will not be necessary with cold fusion. Perhaps lower air pressure would
also increase speed and reduced noise. I do not know, but I doubt it will
be necessary or desirable. If you want high speed I think you should stick
to aircraft.

I do not think that maglev trains will be popular either underground or
aboveground. They are too inflexible. I think individual vehicles will use
the tunnels. They will run at moderate speed roughly 3 times faster than
today's automobiles (around 180 mph, or 290 km/h). NASCAR racing cars can
achieve this speed. The limiting factor is safety. What is the fastest
speed at which a car can have an accident and still have the passengers
survive? The answer is roughly 290 km/h because that is the speed of NASCAR
wrecks, and in most cases the drivers survive. Vehicle wrecks will not
cause fuel explosions which are a major source of injuries and death.

*Space elevator*

The distance to geosynchronous orbit is 36,000 km.

The first versions of this now being planned will use thin flexible
material; fabric. Or ribbon, as they call it. The only way for a vehicle to
climb this is with a pinch roller. I suppose maximum speed would be around
~100 km/h. That would take 15 days. That is too slow for tourists.

A space elevator made of rigid materials, like a tower, could use a
vertical maglev train. I suppose this could reach 1000 km/h, making the
trip in 36 hours which would be more like it.

For the first-generation elevator, I wonder if it would be possible to use
a gigantic conveyor belt, with fabric 72,000 km long. In other words, a
gigantic loop. With that arrangement, you could leave all of the mechanical
equipment on the ground. The fabric would have hooks sewn into it every
thousand kilometers. You would hope the car to the fabric, and then pull
down on the other end of the loop with pinch rollers on the ground. This
would pull the car up. After the first car has gone up a few thousand
kilometers you would add another car.

The present plans call for fabric that is thicker and wider in places where
there is space junk orbiting, so that a small piece of debris will open a
hole in the fabric without cutting it. They also plan to move the base of
the ribbon back-and-forth so that orbiting junk misses it. I think this is
a bad solution to the problem. I think it would be better to send specially
built cars up the ribbon and use them to intercept the orbiting debris,
thereby gradually getting rid of it. Perhaps you could use interceptor
shields set at a 45° angle so that debris whacks into it, fragments, and
the fragments fall to earth.