>From Jed,

> The plug-in version is sold in the U.S. with very limited availability this
> year:
>
> http://www.toyota.com/prius-plug-in/?srchid=K21577_p417641580
>
> I think it is more widely available in Japan.
>
> I think there will be a real problem with gas going stale. For urban use, I
> would prefer a pure electric car. A 100-mile range would be fine for me, and
> for many other people.

I stand corrected.

Nice to see Toyota does sell plug-in Prius models. Do you know if some
of the reasons why there are fewer plug-in Prius models available
within the U.S. primarily political in nature?

While it's probably true that a 100% electrical car with a 100-mile
range per charge might be suitable for the vast majority of U.S. car
owners, psychologically speaking, it still will be perceived as a
devastating limitation to the American way-of-life-style. Shoot! I
would think twice as well! Our household occasionally makes trips
outside of Madison, to Milwaukee and Chicago. That's 140 - 250 mile
round trips. No-can-do with a 100% electric car that only goes 100
miles per charge. We would have to rent a traditional car for long
range trips. That said, I've seriously considered the ramifications of
renting a car for such trips. Depending on various factors it might
actually turn out to be cost effective.

--
Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson