Here are some quotes from one of my favorite philosophers --John Cleese:

"Creativity is not a talent.
It is a way of operating."

"We need to be in the open
mode when pondering a problem — but! — once we come up with a solution, we must
then switch to the closed mode to implement it. Because once we’ve made a
decision, we are efficient only if we go through with it decisively,
undistracted by doubts about its correctness."

"To be at our most
efficient, we need to be able to switch backwards and forward between the two
modes. But — here’s the problem — we too often get stuck in the closed mode.
Under the pressures which are all too familiar to us, we tend to maintain
tunnel vision at times when we really need to step back and contemplate the
wider view."

see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShmtsLhkQg

Guenter