Dear Lou,

Thank you!
My 1992 paper was written when I knew only about Pd-D cold fusion so I have
to answer considering what we/I know
today and this complicates a bit the things - we have two kinds of systems,
two lines of research and many modes of trigger LENR as the Guide shows it.
Raw answers to your questions anyway:

a) fissures play a role but the base material is also rebuilt in some way,
otherwise a completely destructive process will stop by the degradation of
the generator. This was the first theory based on fissuring material when
everybody was searching for neutrons resulted from CF; (simple answer NO)
Szpak et al have an impressive video with these bursts.

b) such iregularities favor the formation of nanostructures, so the answer
is yes.

c) for Ni such frgilization aided by hydrogen is described in the two
Piantelli patents, in practice it is much trial and error
and observation of the surface with a good microscope. Science but also
empiric art.
For Pd- I don't know much, Mike McKubre had absolutely bright explanation
about the complexity of this issue.

I am ready to discuss with you in private re more technical practical
aspects of these problems.
Peter