Meh, I think the real reason it was never sold is it just wasn't that
special.  There is a very low probability that it would have been a product
that would have been commercially competitive with existing thermal
protection materials (from either cost or performance point of view).

For the high temp demos it was undoubtedly acting as an ablative.
 Ablatives have very limited applications as most high temp processes
require long term durability.  For the few applications needing ablatives
(rockets) there are generally strength, durability and processing
requirements as well as issues like vacuum outgassing or long term chemical
stability that could marginalise the usefulness of whatever starlite was.
 There are also no shortage of well understood and very cheap ablatives
alternatives like Oak or phenolic resin impregnated carbon (Pica).

For other applications requiring durability we have access to very cheap
and very low conductivity ceramic felts made out of Alumina, Silica,
Mullites fibres that can withstand up to 1700°C as well as other low
thermal conductivity materials  with huge variety in different performance
attributes (depending on what is important), even 3000°C is possible with
graphite fiber insulation in inert atmospheres.