-----Original Message-----
From: mix...@bigpond.com

Hi Robin,

> Either shrinking releases energy or it consumes energy. If it "can no
longer
absorb EUV radiation to further shrink" then it consumes energy.

Yes, of course. Mills believes that below a certain level this process can
be autocatalytic (if he has not changed that view). It is what happens at
the end of this progression that determines the harder spectrum gammas,
since as you say, "on the way down" it is EUV or soft x-rays only.

> A far more likely source of true gammas is the occasional actual fusion
reaction...

This is where we now disagree: what happens at the "end game" of hydrogen
reducing to maximum redundancy. Your view is essentially the "virtual
neutron" scenario - or a variety thereof. At one time this was my view as
well.

However, in a revised look at the evidence, I don't think that actual fusion
can happen with any regularity, and consequently the "end result" of the
progression to picometer geometry has to be fast proton expulsion from
another Rydberg nucleus (i.e. another fully reduced hydrino) - which cannot
fuse exothermically.

Those who believe that two protons can fuse to deuterium must depend on the
miracle of an astoundingly heavy electron - for which there is no proof.
Otherwise it is endothermic.... or, with a putative nickel to copper
reaction (Focardi's error) where it is easy to see that the forces
preventing fusion are orders of magnitude higher than hydrogen to deuterium.
Ed Storms champions the hydrogen to deuterium camp, and he could be correct
if he can find the numbers to support this without a massively heavy
electron (if I understand his hypothesis).

In any event, gamma emission most often involve nuclear mass being converted
into energy, but there is no necessity for fusion or actually transmutation-
merely fast protons and a pathway involving mass depletion. The gammas that
result from fast protons are bremsstrahlung, so they are not the highest
energy fusion variety. This alternate viewpoint depends on nuclear mass,
especially from the proton itself, being available without fusion. Since it
is an average mass (with a range) heavier protons can give up mass (from
internal bosons - pion, gluon etc) and still retain atomic identity. IOW the
mass of hydrogen is not a quantum value, and there is no rationale that
predicts it will be a single value instead of a range. In fact, mass
determination of hydrogen, from various labs in various countries varies all
over the place.

Since there is zero evidence of high energy gammas in Ni-H reaction, and
zero evidence of radioactivity in the ash - and only slight evidence of soft
spectrum radiation, we need a scenario that fits the available evidence. The
evidence could change, with more test results becoming public, but as of
now- this "average mass depletion hypothesis" is the only hypothesis which
manages to cover all the facts, IMHO.

It also explains quiescence, which no other hypothesis can handle :)

Jones