As I reported here, I sent Srinivasan a short message asking him to clarify
his thoughts about the Ni-H experiments at BARC and SRI. I wrote to him:

I was talking to Jones Beene about you said regarding your work at SRI. You
tried to replicate Mills. As I recall, you said you got some indications of
heat, but mostly null results, and even the positive results were marginal.

In ICCF3, p. 123 you reported much stronger results:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/IkegamiHthirdinter.pdf

Jones described this: "As for Srinivasan, Rothwell reported that he has
directly contradicted, in verbal discussions, some of his own prior paper’s
conclusions . . ."

He responded with the message below. Then he sent me a memo which he and
Mike McKubre published in Infinite Energy, in 1994, while the tests were
underway. I will try to copy the memo text here. It is 8,400 characters so
it may be too long for this forum. In that case I will upload it.

Anyway, the text from his e-mail is below. It is more or less as I recalled
from the lecture. The excess heat results could not be replicated at SRI.
He thinks they are probably from recombination. He still thinks the tritium
results were valid.

The next message in this thread will be my attempt to copy the memo. I
might break it into pieces. It is mostly text without a lot of formatting.

. . . Jones is right. At ICCF 3 we did report "excess" heat from many Ni-H
cells. At SRI (Sept 93 to Mar 94) Mike encouraged me to reproduce those
results. These were open cells. The excess heat was reported wrt to
(V-1.52) * I and not V*I. There was suspicion that there might be some
recombination taking place within the open cells.

So at SRI we placed the open beaker on a digital balance. The weight loss
could be continuously monitored and recorded. I also collected the off
gases in a separate vessel where there was a recombination catalyst. We
could measure the exact amount of water that left the open electrolysis
cell as a function of time.

The apparent excess heat produced could be nicely correlated with the
amount of recombination taking place. These results were reported as a
short Technical Note in an issue of Gene Mallove's Cold Fusion magazine
some time in 1995 I think!

I had to concede that the excess heat reported at Nagoya could (must?) have
been due to recombination. After this experience I decided never to try
measure excess heat in open cells.

ButI  still held on to Tritum production in Ni-H cells. Although the cells
at SRI did not yield T, the repeat measurements done at BARC later and
reported in FT confirmed low level tritium production in Ni-H cells.

Thanks for the interest shown in our "Ancient" work!

Chino