I know both of these effects are found in very cold samples, and what
possible relevance could they have for LENR???

Well, in ordinary condensed matter I would say NONE, but H/D-loaded metal
lattices are NOT ordinary condensed matter.  There could likely be small
localized regions where coherence (of various flavors) gets established long
enough to allow some of these (normally) ultra-low temperature processes to
occur... and poof, shit happens that is totally unexpected because the
normal condensed matter physics is NOT operating within those regions.  And
they may be fleeting in character. i.e., coming and going in random physical
locations and not all producing LENR-type reactions (whatever those are).

The most interesting one is this one because it ties in to what I'd expect:

Excitons: Exotic particles, chilled and trapped, form giant matter wave

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-exotic-particles-chilled-giant.html

And I emphasize this quote:

". with electrons and holes in separate layers."

This is exactly what I would expect from the dipole-like structure of the
electron that I've been using as a physical model. and I've been reading
another interesting model which is very similar. I'll post about that model
in a separate thread.

It seems to me that physicists use 'holes' in many kinds of explanations of
physical interactions, but they are not treated as separate, quantifiable
entities in subatomic calculations?  Is a given 'e-hole' more or less on the
opposite side of the atom from the unpaired electron?  My model says YES;
with some allowance for slight distortions due to forces from surrounding
atoms or other electons/holes in the same atom.

The other article which is of limited interest:

Repulsive polaron: Austrian physicists realize elusive quasiparticles

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-repulsive-polaron-austrian-physicists-elusive.h
tml

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11065.html

-Mark