Chemical Engineer <cheme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Concentrated Solar thermal has been around for 40 years and the costs
> still suck.

Wind turbines were around for 1000 years but until the 1990s their costs
were much too high. It is not the length of time that counts; it is the
total R&D and scale of manufacturing.

The LUZ CSP plants in California would have been far cheaper per watt if
LUZ had been allowed to build them on the large scale they originally
proposed. The power company deliberately scaled them down to a size that
anyone could see would make them uneconomical. This drove LUZ out of
business, predictably.

 They are assembling 350,000 mirrors/heliostats at the job site.  How
> effective do you think that is?

If the technique can be improved, it will be, by the time time they install
millions of mirrors. Just allow competition and wait for capitalism to work
its magic.

 How much more time do they need to be competitive? 50 years, 500 years,
> 5000 years?

It makes no sense to measure this in years! You have to measure
capacity. My guess is that 10 GW of capacity would suffice, although I
would not know. I think ~10 GW actual (not nameplate) was enough to bring
wind power down to the cost of coal, factoring in externalties.

Asking how long it would take is unfair. This resembles the skeptical
attacks on cold fusion; i.e.,
"it has been 23 years so why don't we have practical reactors?" Measured in
R&D dollars and manpower, it has been about 2 months, compared to plasma
fusion or "clean coal" research. It has been maybe 1 day compared to the
cost of wars fought for oil.