Regarding:

research.missouri.edu/vcr_seminar/Prelas.ppt

I find it revealing that many if not all of the experiments showing signs
of cold fusion activity include compounds which demonstrate a very low work
function.

This is significant because these compounds can generate positive
electrostatic charge accumulation on their own accord without any external
electric potential applied. These thermionic materials will expel electrons
from their surface leaving positive charge accumulation behind.

A good example is calcium oxide: a potent and possibly the best thermionic
material around. Its work function varies from about a minuscule 2.0 to as
little as .7 based on conditions and temperature.

My opinion is that this coherent positive charge accumulation is one of the
important underlying causes of cold fusion.

Cheers:  Axil