Maybe it will work out, but only with subsidies of some sort.  To me and
most others who have looked hard at this idea in the past it is a publicity
exercise lacking a sound economic basis.  (I have been involved in
analysing sailing ships professionally, and have another friends who worked
on this for a German company who shares my skepticism).

The problems being that:
-container ships have high aero drag (as well as water resistance) that
limits sailing speed, winds are seldom strong enough and from the right
direction to contribute significantly to the required ship speed  at
typical 20kts ship speed you might get useful wind 5% of the time.
-there is a very large time cost to slow transport, on a big ship the
capital tied up in the ship and freight can easily be $0.5 billion.  That
represents about $100k per day.  Half the speed more than doubles the cost
(wages, insurance and maintenance costs to pay too).
-you need more crew, and generally highly paid/skilled crew to manage and
maintain the sails.
-you have to have a predictable schedule, so if you are using an unreliable
motive force you need to plan in some expensive contingency time on every
voyage.
-the sailing rigs or kites will have high maintenance costs in the high
vibration marine environment (soft sail materials don't last more than a
few 1000 hours so they need to be rigid materials to be economic) and there
are potential safety problems with large permanently erect sails in
hurricane conditions.
-masts/rigs can interfere with loading and unloading speed (which is
critical given high port costs).
-even with today's relatively high prices a big ship only uses about
$150k/day of bunker oil.  If they convert to LNG (as is starting to happen
in some places) it would be even cheaper.

Wind turbines on the ship would probably make more sense, as at least they
will work in any wind direction (even travelling straight into the wind),
as well as in port.

Another possibility that might work well is Makani's rigid kite sails.
http://www.makanipower.com/ as they behave like wind turbines and yet they
can pack away reasonably compactly and can get up into much stronger wind
without trying to tip the boat over like a tall rig does.