In discussing Rossi's "prey", it may be germaine to look back at this
statement, from a PetrolDragon contemporary, in "The Magic of Mr. Rossi":

Acerbi: “In the years where he was working here, he didn’t produce a single
drop of oil, as far as we know. What he did was creating just a media event. He
was able to persuade – in a way that I cannot explain – a good portion of
public opinion, and that’s exactly what is hard for me to explain. He persuaded
technicians in the field, scientists and important institutions, the region of
Lombardia, that he was able to do magic.”

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzL3RIlcwbY