I wrote:

One question I have concerns the thermal properties of the [carbon nanotube
> bulk] system.  I have started to conclude that the thermal properties are
> important -- for example, perhaps the temperature in the substrate must
> gradually build to the point where some kind of resonance is triggered in
> smaller sites throughout the material.  It is not difficult to envision how
> this might occur in a thermally conducting material such as a metal.  It is
> harder to see how this would happen in a carbon substrate.

On second thought, graphene has some interesting thermal properties, as do
carbon nanotubes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene#Thermal_properties
http://authors.library.caltech.edu/1745/1/CHEnano00.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_properties_of_nanostructures#Carbon_nanotubes

Wikipedia gives the thermal conductivity of nickel as 90.9 W/m/K.  There
are different numbers for the thermal conductivity of carbon nanotubes.
 The second source mentions up to ~29 W/m/K, provided there are few
defects.  The third source, from Wikipedia, says that the conductivity can
get up to 3500 W/m/k, two orders of magnitude higher.  But even if the
carbon substrate were coal, it's obvious that it would have interesting
thermal properties.

Another important property would be the ability to load hydrogen.
 Apparently it might be possible to store hydrogen in carbon nanotubes:

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2011/January/26011103.asp

How high a loading can be obtained in the structure that is discussed in
this source is unclear.  In the model in my mind, the cavity would probably
need to be filled with hydrogen.  If the rate of desorption of hydrogen is
too high, a reaction might not be possible according to this line of
thinking.

A very nice thing about carbon bulk is that it can sustain high
temperatures.  The temperatures mentioned in the third link above, to
Wikipedia, for "temperature stability," are 2800 C (3073 K) in a vacuum and
750 C (1023 K) in air.  The following source gives a melting temperature
for carbon nanotube material without defects of 4500 K and a pre-melting
temperature of 2600 K.

http://iopscience.iop.org/0957-4484/18/28/285703;jsessionid=D53B81E04C8D46A0D606206C1E32DF70.c2

By comparison, the melting point of nickel is 1728 K.

The reason the higher temperature would be useful in this line of reasoning
is that a higher frequency of infrared would permeate the bulk.  One might
even have a fun time taking coal and heating it in a chamber loaded with
hydrogen (but doing so very carefully).  I believe Less Case did an
interesting experiment with activated carbon that was reproduced by Michael
McKubre.  It included a palladium "catalyst," but the palladium might not
have been essential to the experiment if a suitable carbon material had
been used.  Activated carbon is carbon that has a large number of small
pores and therefore a high surface area. If carbon nanotube material with
some of these exotic properties, such as high thermal conductivity, high
magnetic fields, and optical resonance, was used, a transition metal might
not be needed.

Eric