In an earlier post I speculated on the possibility of a current of
electrons flowing along a hollow, superconducting wire inducing a current
of protons within the wire (via Lenz's law, although I did not know that
this was what I was invoking).  I have since read descriptions to the
effect that the magnetic field at the center of a hollow wire with current
flowing along it will be zero.  Another complexity is that there are two
types of superconductors -- in type I superconductors, magnetic fields are
expelled (the superconductor is diamagnetic); in type II superconductors,
the ones that reach higher temperatures, there is an effect called the
paramagnetic Meissner effect, which causes a superconductor to
be permeable to magnetism within limits of field strength.  It is not clear
from this detail how the feasibility of such a current of protons would be
affected, but the possibility of zero magnetic field is a strike against it.

There are, however, two other effects that can be considered -- the
theta-pinch and z-pinch effects.  Theta-pinch confinement of a plasma comes
about when current flows around the circumference of the confining
volume. One individual speculated on the possibility of using theta-pinch
confinement of a plasma to generate D+T fusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thet_pinch.png
http://lofi.forum.physorg.com/Fusion-By-Large-Linear-Theta-Pinch_18508.html

That does not obviously lend itself to the kinds of geometries we might
speculate to exist in the nuclear active environment.  However, there is
also the z-pinch effect, which appears to have been used to crush cans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Z_pinch.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinch_(plasma_physics)#Crushing_cans_with_the_pinch_effect

I wonder whether a large enough current could cause a current carrying
nanowire to implode, compressing the contents as it does.

Eric