The post of Colin Hercus interests me greatly, and I am greatful that he
took the time to explain how things work for a bioinformatician.

 When a library of DNA fragments are finally complied across all known
species, and object oriented life builder can be authored as a software
process to select desirable traits with robust error correction mechanisms
to form new life forms.

 With the environment of a target planet as a adaptive template, an
organism(s) can be fabricated through a compilation linking these desirable
traits against those required to thrive in that alien environment.

 IMHO, Genetics is just a sub-field of chemistry and therefore a  proper
subject for vortex.