(*C12* is C12 in an excited state - it has an additional 15.96 MeV that it*
* *

*desperately wants to get rid of)*

This is only true when the coulomb barrier is up at full strength. But when
the coulomb barrier is completely down, protons behave like neutrons. They
can exit the nucleus with no energy penalty.

I explain this in the thread “the bumpy road.”

 Cheers:   Axil