From: mixent <mix...@bigpond.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sat, Aug 11, 2012 11:58 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:the Coil

Hi,
[snip]
>*“This is clearly not true. If it were then hot fusion wouldn't work, and
>there*
>* *
>
>*would be no Sun. It takes less energy to get in than it takes to get out.*
>* *
>
>*The difference between the two is the net energy of the reaction.”*
>
>I said:  “The coulomb barrier is symmetric. It takes as much energy to
>leave the nucleus as it takes to get in.”
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_decay

Radioactive nuclei are in an excited state (i.e. above ground state) by
definition. That's the reason they are radioactive.
The ground state of e.g. 4He is way below that of 2 D's hence it's energetically
favourable for 2 D's to combine and form 4He.

In the radioactive case, it's easier to get out than to get in. In the case of
two D's it's easier to get in than to get out. So my statement about it being
easier to get in than to get out was too  broad, as it only applies to fusion
reactions. It's the other way around for fission reactions. However in neither
case is the Coulomb barrier symmetric.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk