Good questions, Robin

I wish I remembered solid state physics better, but I am not sure that
sure that your estimates are correct in a crystal lattice where the energy
eigenfunctions are nonlocal and span the entire crystal, but acquire more
nodes when they gain energy.

If my memory is correct, higher energy wave functions will have sharper,
more localized nodes, but will be larger than particle radii.

-- LP