From: Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thu, Sep 6, 2012 10:25 pm
Subject: [Vo]:Compressed spring - what happens to the stored energy at
different temperatures?

If a spring is compressed by a force at room temperature, the spring
will return to its original length once the force is removed.
In the language of CoE the compressed spring  is said to "store" the
energy of the work done by the force.

Now compress the spring again and then place it in a bath of liquid
nitrogen. The spring will not return to its original length once the
force is removed.
At this stage I would say some of the "stored energy" has vanished and
CoE has been violated.

Harry