http://www.astro.virginia.edu/class/oconnell/astr121/comte.html

On the subject of stars, all investigations which are not ultimately
reducible to simple visual observations are ... necessarily denied to
us. While we can conceive of the possibility of determining their
shapes, their sizes, and their motions, we shall never be able by any
means to study their chemical composition or their mineralogical
structure ... Our knowledge concerning their gaseous envelopes is
necessarily limited to their existence, size ... and refractive power,
we shall not at all be able to determine their chemical composition or
even their density... I regard any notion concerning the true mean
temperature of the various stars as forever denied to us.

-- August Comte,1835

(before the advent of spectroscopy)

harry