The guys on physics.stackexchange.org are pretty confident in their
understanding of things; in this regard they typify the hubris you see
among some physicists.  Ron Maimon is practically the only highly-rated
account holder there to keep an open mind about cold fusion, and although
he's brilliant, he's something of a pariah there.  His high rating, I
suspect some there would say, is due to his appeal to the unwashed and
uninformed.

That site is good if you have a question about basic physics (but not *too*
basic!).  It is not good if you are looking for information about cold
fusion.  But if my own personal experience is anything to go by, a typical
investigation will look something like this -- you check out what is on
Wikipedia and immediately see that the page is a battlefield (this is
apparent whenever an article takes on multiple personalities, pro and con,
all over the place).  Then you go to sites like
physics.stackexchange.organd see the haughty attitude of some of the
respondents.  Rather than being
effective at persuading one that there is nothing to cold fusion, it only
makes one more curious.

Eric

Google Alerts alerted me to this: