I wrote:

One wonders how these coffee plants ever survived the 10°C colder
>> temperatures of the last ice age . . .
>>

> They did not exist. No domesticated plants existed 9,000 years ago, and
> none could survive in the wild alone without human protection.

I meant that present-day domesticated coffee plants did not exist in the
wild, unprotected by humans and human technology. Their ancestors existed.
Ancestral versions of food crops are more hardy than the modern version,
with many fewer seeds.

I did not mean there were no domesticated plants; I meant no coffee, rice
or maize, and there was nothing that looked like the domesticated
version. The earliest cereal food crops were domesticated roughly 9000
years ago, so there were other plants.

The same goes for us, by the way. Homo sapiens cannot exist outside of
Africa except in the domesticated version, protected by our technology. In
the ice ages no human would survive in Europe for more than a few hours
without our technology such as clothing, hunting and fire.

We are as much a product of domestication as our cows, turkeys and food
crops. We domesticated ourselves. To be more specific, I think it is likely
that women domesticated men and children. (Seriously.) Everything about us
from our diet to our body shape is a product of technology grafted on to
the original naturally evolved species. Technology has profoundly affected
the very shape of our organs such as the feet and hands, the gut, teeth and
brain. To paraphrase Churchill, we shaped our tools and then our tools
shaped us.