Maybe they are creating fractals...:)

More precisely, the Mandelbrot set is the set of values of *c* in the complex
plane <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_plane> for which the
orbit<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_(dynamics)> of
0 under iteration <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterated_function>
of thecomplex
quadratic
polynomial<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_quadratic_polynomial>
 *z**n*+1 = *z**n*2 +*c* remains
bounded<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounded_sequence>
.[1] <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbrot_set#cite_note-1> That is, a
complex number *c* is part of the Mandelbrot set if, when starting with *z*0 =
0 and applying the iteration repeatedly, the absolute
value<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_value>
 of*z**n* remains bounded however large *n* gets.

Stewart
Darkmattersalot.com