  From: Jed Rothwell
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:32 AM
  Subject: [Vo]:Digital information storage in DNA

  Not quite as off topic as you might think. I am looking into this as part of
an essay about the history of cold fusion I am writing. Anyway, see:

  http://arep.med.harvard.edu/pdf/Church_Science_12.pdf

  This prof. at Harvard, George Church, has been experimenting with recording
data in DNA. He recorded his own book and then read it back, with only a few
errors. He reproduced it 30 million times, making it "the biggest best seller
in history" in a sense.

  Quote: "DNA storage is very dense. At theoretical maximum, DNA can encode two
bits per nucleotide (nt) or 455 exabytes per gram of ssDNA . . ."

  I'd like to confirm I have the units right here --

  Present world data storage is variously estimated between 295 exabytes in
2011 to 2,700 exabytes today (2.7 zettabytes). See:

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12419672 (295 exabytes)

  http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23177411#.UNt2eSZGJ5Q (2.7 ZB)

  I don't know what source to believe.

  This takes a colossal number of hard disks and a great deal of electricity.
On NHK they estimated the number of bytes of data now exceeds the number of
grains of sand on all the beaches of the world. Assume it is 2.7 ZB. That seems
like a large number until you realize that you could record all of this data in
6 grams of DNA.

  That demonstrates how much our technology may improve in the future. We have
a lot of leeway. There is still "plenty of room at the bottom" as Feynman put
it.

  DNA preserves data far better than any human technology. It can also copy it
faster and more accurately by far. I mean by many orders of magnitude.

  It might be difficult to make a rapid, on-line electronic interface to DNA
recorded data, similar to today's hard disk. But as a back up medium, or
long-term storage, it seems promising. As Prof. Church demonstrates, this
technology may come about as a spin off from genome-reading technology. Perhaps
there are other 3-dimensional molecular methods of data storage. Maybe, but I
would say why bother looking for them when nature has already found such a
robust system?