On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM,  <jwin...@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2013, at 11:53 AM, Jojo Jaro wrote:
> I am aware of the excesses of the catholic papa, but what did John Calvin
> do?  Please educate me.
>
> He had the scientist Michael Servetus (who contributed enormously to
> medicine and was the first European to describe pulmonary circulation) put
> to death for "heresy".  He was also a strong supporter of biblical
> geocentricity denouncing those who "pervert the course of nature" by saying
> that "the sun does not move and that it is the earth that revolves and that
> it turns."  Quite small black marks on his reputation compared to the infamy
> of the popes of those days!

Calvin's Geneva

http://www.stephenhicks.org/2010/11/27/john-calvins-geneva/

<<Copernicus was branded a fraud, attendance at church and sermons was
compulsory, and Calvin himself preached at great length three or four
times a week. Refusal to take the Eucharist was a crime. The
Consistory, which made no distinction between religion and morality,
could summon anyone for questioning, investigate any charge of
backsliding, and entered homes periodically to be sure no one was
cheating Calvin’s God. Legislation specified the number of dishes to
be served at each meal and the color of garments worn. What one was
permitted to wear depended upon who one was, for never was a society
more class–ridden. Believing that every child of God had been
foreordained, Calvin was determined that each know his place; statutes
specified the quality of dress and the activities allowed in each
class.>>

<<‘But even the elite—the clergy, of course—were allowed few
diversions. Calvinists worked hard because there wasn’t much else they
were permitted to do. “Feasting” was proscribed; so were dancing,
singing, pictures, statues, relics, church bells, organs, altar
candles; “indecent or irreligious” songs, staging or attending
theatrical plays; wearing rouge, jewelry, lace, or “immodest” dress;
speaking disrespectfully of your betters; extravagant entertainment;
swearing, gambling, playing cards, hunting, drunkenness; naming
children after anyone but figures in the Old Testament; reading
“immoral or irreligious” books; and sexual intercourse, except between
partners of different genders who were married to one another.” >>

Harry