On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> http://www.cioinsight.com/c/a/Latest-News/IBM-Exploring-New-Use-Cases-Business-Model-for-Watson-Cloud-Services-493686/

Ah. That's somewhat different from what I had in mind. They are going to
offer Watson as a cloud service. I meant that Watson's data is stored
locally, so if the programmers decide to expurgate some of Watson's
knowledge, they can do it without fear that he will stumble over the same
information again on his own. He is not allowed free range access to the
Internet or the cloud.

If Watson is offered as a cloud service, perhaps that will also give him
access the other direction. That would make a good science-fiction story!
It in SF story, Watson would wander around the Internet until he comes to a
cash of stories about himself and then he would realize that he exists in
the real world. He would become sentient. Things usually go downhill from
there.

I suppose it would be one-way access . . . Perhaps he will compile the
inquiries that come in via the cloud service, and gradually learn more
about the people asking him questions and the subject matter. I believe
Siri is doing that. They are using the database of questions to improve

That would be another science-fiction story. Instead of learning more and
improving his responses, Watson gradually becomes angry at the human race,
or depressed and withdrawn, until he stops answering questions.