Mark,
Everything we do in science is based on models. In fact, most of our
rational understanding of the world is a model.
When you say tomorrow the sun will come up from the horizon again, you are
basing this statement on a model, maybe based on several previous
observations but still you are putting all these inputs you collected in a
model that says tomorrow the sun will rise again.
The models of astrophysics are actually among the most complete and well
studied in all science. Our understanding of stellar structure is extremely
good.
They are not just theoretical, they make very precise predictions that can
be testable and they have been tested many times in many different space
and temporal scales.
There was a period of several decades where the models could not predict
the right amount of neutrino flux on Earth from the sun and people doubted
the astrophysical models. Some physicists suggested instead that maybe our
neutrino physics was incomplete.
It turned out that the astrophysics was right and we had to change our
neutrinos models.
Also we start to have better understanding of the solar interior not just
through models but direct observation through helioseismology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helioseismology

Giovanni