Recently I have been exploring magnetic concepts.  I have been seeing so many
references to magnetic motors that I believe are not possible, but they keep
coming so I decided to perform some thought experiments.  Let me present one
that is somewhat associated with the motor concepts.

All I ask is that you give it some serious consideration and post what you
think the results should be.

Take an iron rod and wrap a coil around it.  The rod is initially not
magnetized.

Apply a voltage to the wire for a short period of time that allows enough
current to flow to result in a permanent magnetization of the iron rod.

Now, if you are very good at measuring energy, you would be capable of directly
measuring the input energy supplied by the voltage source.  Record this energy
for later reference.

At this point in time, the rod maintains a magnetic field that contains a
certain amount of field energy and heat has been given off due to losses within
the wire and due to mechanical effects within the rod, etc.

I would assume that we would now have a direct measurement of the energy stored
within the field so it is time to make it do some work.

Take a large collection of iron pellets that are not magnetized and work with
them one at a time.  Attach a scale to the first one that records the
attraction force between the magnet and the iron pellet.  Allow the pellet to
slowly approach the magnet while you record the force applied.  Integrate the
force times distance to arrive at the work performed by the action of the field
upon the pellet.

Now, continue to add pellets one at a time while your record the work performed
upon each one.  Continue this operation until either one of two things happen.
The first is that there is no more force available to do work on additional
pellets.  The second is that you run out of pellets after a large pile of them
is attached to the magnet.

The question becomes:  Does the external field become zero just as all of the
energy applied to generate it by the voltage source less losses is exactly
equal to the work done on the pellets?  Or, does the net energy supplied by the
pellet motion end up as some fraction of the initial field stored energy while
leaving some if not most of the field energy intact but contained within the
pile of iron?  Or, would you suspect that the field would never cease to supply
energy to additional pellets since it expands due to the extra iron?  Any other
possibilities?

My bet is placed upon the second condition.  I would expect the
COE(conservation of energy) to limit any work that can be taken from the rod to
a value that is less than the initial field energy, but that much of the field
would be left contained within the iron pile.

What do you others think will happen?  Can we obtain infinite energy with such
a system?

Dave