Hi Jack,

   Keep on experimenting!  Your following the same track that I did, and
Nitinol was one thought I had.  The idea at the time was to load hydrogen
 into nitinol, and then crank up the current to flex the metal lattice with
the H embedded in  the crystal structure.   I think I had the polarity
wrong as the nitinol dissolved in the solution.  Anyway, keep on
experimenting.  You might be on to something.